Pan-Fried Quinoa Cakes
1/2 pound kale, large stems removed & leaves finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 pound sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 cups (12 ounces) quinoa, rinsed & well-drained
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely grated Parmesan cheese
2TBS minced fresh dill
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 large eggs, beaten
Olive oil for frying
1. In a large pot, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add kale & salt. Cook 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, scoop kale into a large bowl, reserving cooking water. When kale is cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water; set kale aside.
2. Bring reserved water back to a boil & add sweet potatoes. Simmer until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, scoop sweet potatoes into a bowl; set sweet potatoes aside & reserve cooking water.
3. Measure out 3 cups of cooking water, discarding the rest, and pour it back into the pot. Bring water back to a boil, add quinoa, & stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, & simmer until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat & set aside, covered, 10 minutes.
4. Add quinoa to bowl of kale & toss to combine. Gently mix in reserved sweet potatoes, onion, Parmesan, dill & cayenne. Set aside to cool 10 minutes. Add eggs & mix to combine.
5. Set out a large baking sheet. Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop mixture, press firmly to level the top, then turn cup over on baking sheet. Repeat to form 14 patties total.
6. In a large skillet, heat 2 TBS olive oil over medium heat. Working in batches, cook 4 to 6 patties at a time until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Carefully flip the cakes & brown on the other side, about 4 minutes longer. Add more oil, as needed, to cook additional batches. Serve warm or at room temperature.